Resort Lodging on Shasta Lake Weddings
Thunderclouds billow overhead and rain drops begin to fall as TSADI (pronounced shaw-z) resort owner Julie O’Loughlin scrambles to secure umbrellas before the wind whips them away. Not an unusual occurrence at the picturesque resort that has anchored the northernmost point of Shasta Lake for more than fifty years. New to the community, but not to the service/hospitality profession, Julie gave up a career in the Bay Area that many dream of when she fell in love with Tsasdi Resort while traveling North on I-5.
While enthusiasm and perseverance remained high, financing the dream became the most difficult challenge. That’s where SCED came in. Creatively leveraging an SBA 504 loan with the niche financing that traditional banks could not offer, Julie gives credit to SCED Loan Manager Ryan Richardson for “not just evaluating the numbers, but evaluating me”. Seeing the resort’s potential and recognizing the compatibility with Julie’s management and hospitality background, Ryan would not give up until a deal was forged.
Julie gives credit to SCED Loan Manager Ryan Richardson for “not just evaluating the numbers, but evaluating me”.
Neatly tucked away on twenty wooded lakefront acres with a private boat dock, Tsadi caters to a diverse customer base – from families who return each season to corporate retreats and weekend getaways. Phase I of Tsadi’s business plan shows off upgrades to 20 already well-maintained cabins, and a remolded lodge/conference center complete with Wi-Fi technology. Phase 2 calls for new showers/restrooms, adding food service options and scouting out locally sourced green products.
Julie reflects on the core values she observed while working with SCED and encourages entrepreneurs to seek the same when looking for a financial partner.
- Transparency – straightforward information and discussions.
- Responsiveness – receiving a prompt answer, no matter what the question.
- Knowledgeable – knowing the region, resources and lending business.
- Team Oriented – forming a team with each other and with the borrower; supporting each other at the same level throughput the process.
- Thinking strategically (outside the box) – a lending partner who can share the vision, delve into the track record and build innovative solutions.